Frequently Asked Questions
- What makes Seed different than other body care products?
- But, how is that different than other personal care products?
- How is Seed a sustainable, eco-friendly choice?
- I have special needs, is Seed for me?
- Why is there alcohol in your lotions and creams? Won't that dry out my skin?
- Who formulated your products?
- How were your products tested?
- Can kids use these products?
- Can you use the body products on the face?
- Is Seed good for very dry skin?
- Is Seed lotion good for psoriasis, exzema, dermatitis, etc?
- For what type of hair is Seed Hair Shampoo bar best suited?
- How do you use the Hair Shampoo Bar?
- Can you use the Hair Shampoo Bar as a Body Soap?
- How do you use the Moisturizing Body Soap?
- Where are your products sold?
- Do you have other products?
- What made you decide to launch Seed?
Only Seed features blends of concentrated seed nutrients to not only moisturize your skin, but also nourish it with antioxidants, essential fatty acids and phytosterols. Our unique blends feel amazing, working as well, or better than, other conventional brands, and are priced similarly to make high quality natural products accessible to more people.
All Seed products are formulated to combine the best complementary blend of natural ingredients that work together in synchronicity to feel great to your body, and also nourish you.
- Seed was developed so that you would never have to make a choice between natural, and effective and a great value. We believe everyone should have access to natural choices that deliver real benefits, do what they are supposed to do effectively, and aren't prohibitively priced.
- Grape seed oil is our main carrier oil, and, unlike other oils, is absorbed quickly into the skin, moisturizes deeply, but does not leave your skin feeling oily or greasy.
Grape seed oil is a concentrated oil, which is rich in antioxidants, and other beneficial natural ingredients, with proven scientific skin benefits. Grape seed oil is rich in:
- Vitamin E (a known anti-aging vitamin, when applied topically),
- Linoleic Essential Fatty Acid – with known anti-inflammatory benefits, it seals in moisture, with a protective barrier, and
- Phytosterols – which plumps up your skin to look healthy and beautiful
In our Seed body lotions,
- our unique blend also includes green tea extract (rich in antioxidants), shea butter (deeply moisturizing), and sunflower seed and soy oils.
- Shea butter is very moisturizing, but used alone can be greasy and oily – when we mix it with our seed oil blends, it soaks right in!
- And, beyond the silky feel of the lotions, people first delight at the burst of aromatherapy they smell with our 100% natural essential oil fragrances. These offer temporary aromatherapeutic benefits, but naturally fade to a clean smelling, deeply moisturizing after-feel.
In our Seed hand cream
- In addition to grape seed oil, we also feature sunflower seed oil and jojoba seed oil.
- For those who wash their hands frequently, jojoba seed oil is very similar to your body's natural oils, and it replenishes those, and then creates a moisture barrier that holds up to frequent hand washing
In our Seed body cream
- We feature the richest blend of grape seed oil, sunflower seed oil, and shea.
- This extra rich, thick formula is for people who want a very thick moisturizer, or are looking for something indulgent for their body – usually for arms, elbows, and feet.
- Our Seed Moisturizing Body Soaps, feature a unique blend of natural ingredients that gently invigorate the skin with seed exfoliants, draw out impurities with red clay, and leave skin feeling moisturized and nourished with grape seed oil and grape seed extract.
- Our Seed Hair Shampoo Bars feature grape seed oil to soothe the scalp, Pro-Vitamin B5 to condition, and a special seed oil blend from the Amazon forest that rinses hair clean. The special ergonomic design facilitates rich lather.
- All our products have a fragrance free option, so that those who are sensitive to fragrances, even natural ones, are able to enjoy the skin health benefits of Seed.
- We list EVERY SINGLE ingredient in our formulas – so you know exactly what you are putting on your skin.
- We have signed the "Compact for Safe Cosmetics" which means we have committed ourselves to not include any known toxins or carcinogens in our products.
Well, we do not like to talk negatively about others, but be aware that:
- Some products have been developed to be 100% Natural, but aren't as effective as "conventional" or "synthetic" alternatives. Consumers do not want to compromise. People want products that feel great and really work.
- Some products add a natural ingredient or a few, and calling it a Natural Product – even though they have things like Sodium Laurel Sulfate or other questionable ingredients like parabens and phthalates. We believe that is misleading.
- Many companies are unwilling to sign the Compact for Safe Cosmetics – and we wonder why a company would not commit to avoiding known toxins or carcinogens.
- Some natural products are priced so high that even though a consumer wants to buy natural, they are forced to make tough choices, and continue to buy "conventional"/"synthetic".
- Some products ingredients listings do not include all ingredients. Manufacturers are not required to list all ingredients, and things like parabens, at under 1%, may be included, but not listed on a product's label.
All Seed products are 100% Natural, featuring the powerful benefits of seed nutrients and byproducts, and are 100% plant-based. By design our formulas are very sustainable:
- Grape seed oil is a natural by-product of the wine-making process. After the grapes are squeezed for juice, the very small grape seeds are re-pressed through a special press which yields the very concentrated grape seed oil.
- All Seed products are made in the USA. (FYI, or lotions and creams are made in New Jersey; our bars are made in Vermont) Whenever possible, we source our raw ingredients from the US also. 94% of our packaging components are made in the USA – and we are working to make that 100%.
- All Seed products are concentrated, meaning that much less water is used, and the richness also translates to a great value.
- All of our packaging is Recyclable and/or biodegradable. Our cartons use vegetable based dyes.
- By designing and developing alternative forms of products, we seek to have even broader environmental benefits. For example, our hair shampoo bar is a concentrated lathering bar, which avoids using the significant water that is used to manufacture liquid shampoos. This also reduces the energy needed to transport the shampoo, as the concentrated formula weighs less than its liquid counterparts. The same benefits apply to our Seed Moisturizing Body Soap vs. other liquid body wash alternatives.
- Additionally, by using a bar soap, you have the option of eliminating plastic from your waste/recycling.
- All Seed products are plant-based, even vegan-friendly (dairy free and cruelty-free)
- All Seed products are Gluten Free
- All Seed products are Paraben Free, phthalate free, petrochemical-free, Laurel Sulfate-free, with no artificial colors
- Seed Hand Cream and Body Cream, body soap, and hair shampoo bars are soy-free
Alcohols are a large class of ingredients – some alcohols DO dry your hands, but those are isopropyl, benzyl, or ethenol alcohols. Our cetyl alcohol is a fatty acid (a lipid, technically) and actually is conditioning and moisturizing.
We have a team of people working with us who have vast experience in both personal care, as well as natural personal care. We do consumer research to understand what consumers want and are missing, we do scientific research to find what natural ingredients have published science around topical benefits, and we work as a team to develop the best combination of skin and beauty benefits with the most luxurious feel possible!
Initially, we test them ourselves – the owners of the company, along with the people who make the products. Then, after we get to a formula we feel meets the needs we seek, we have a group of men and women who try each one and give us valuable feedback.
Yes, of course, as long as they are not allergic to any of the ingredients listed on the label.
Our hair shampoo bar has proven to be popular with some moms and kids – the lather is tight rather than loose bubbles, so even though we are not "no tears", parents find it easy to use with their kids.
Yes, you can, but please note that our fragranced lotions have essential oils, and we ask that you keep those away from your eyes. Our exfoliating soap works on the face, but it is designed for direct application to the body, so the bar is not the best "fit" for the face.
Yes! Frequently we have talked to consumers that experience cracked hands and skin from severe dryness, and hear that the rich, concentrated formulas are soothing and moisturizing, unlike other lotions they have tried.
We have heard very positive comments from people affected by these, and other skin conditions, about the feel and moisturization. Yet we make no claims at this point.
We hear positive feedback from people with all hair types – short, long, thick, thin, among others. Sometimes we find that the type of water a household has can improve the bar's efficacy, or in some cases, make it more difficult to use.
Overall, we recommend our current formula for fine to normal hair, short to medium-length hair, and those that do not chemically-treat their hair.
If you need a conditioner with your current shampoo, we recommend you continue using it.
Put the wet shampoo bar in your hand, as the design allows for it to be used with use one hand and apply directly to your wet scalp – either rub it in a circle on your scalp/hair (with short hair), or apply in long strokes from front to back directly on scalp/hair (with medium to longer hair). Wet hair a bit more, and then begin to massage scalp to develop a rich lather. Rinse clean.
Yes, you can, as it will work to cleanse your body just like a liquid shampoo could be used. However, you would miss some of the special benefits of the body soap. Also, our body soap would not be able to be used as a hair shampoo bar, as it is meant for moisturizing and cleansing skin, not hair.
In the shower or bath, apply the wet bar directly to wet skin, and feel the sensation of gentle exfoliation combined with natural red clay and moisturizing grape seed oil. You can also lather in your hands or a washcloth and apply lather to skin, if you prefer.
Seed is available at fine retailers like Hannaford, Wegmans, Kinney Drugs, Harris Teeter, and select Whole Foods Markets. We are also available on line at drugstore.com and amazon.com.
Seed's line includes Body Lotion, Body Cream, Hand Cream, body soap, and hair shampoo bars. We continue to launch new items – stay in touch on our facebook page or sign up for our newsletter for latest information.
We (Benjamin and Rebecca, co-founders) began buying natural & organic food and products while we were trying to start a family, and struggling with infertility. While we had been in the personal consumer product business for many years at one of the largest companies, we left that company, and started to switch to natural personal care -- we tried many different brands in the process. We did not find a brand that we felt offered the right combination of real benefits, efficacy, price, and felt great! So, after much research into the most powerful natural ingredients, we developed and then launched Seed, all featuring the benefits of seed nutrients and byproducts, with real health& skin benefits.